Location: St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Primary School, Stella, Blaydon-on-Tyne
Grade: L8 – L12 (£52,659 – £58,105 per annum)
Hours: Full time, Permanent
St Mary St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Primary School in Blaydon-on-Tyne is proud to be part of the Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust, a family of secondary, middle, primary and first schools in Durham, Gateshead, Northumberland and Sunderland. Bishop Wilkinson is the largest Catholic Education Trust in the North East of England and has a total of 48 schools. This is an exciting time to join our supportive, and growing team.
Applications are invited from practising and committed Catholics for the post of Deputy Headteacher at St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Primary School, to work closely with the Headteacher to lead the school in the next exciting phase in its development.
We are looking for an individual who has superb interpersonal skills, the ability to bring people together to work as a cohesive team and with a drive to build upon the existing success of the school. At St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas, we aim to provide a stimulating learning environment in which each child feels valued and can fulfil their academic potential. We have designed our provision to develop the moral, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs of our children at each stage in their development. We are focussed on living out our mission, ‘Together we strive for excellence, inspired by the joy of the Gospel’.
We are seeking an individual to:
- Establish and sustain a Christ centred vision embodied in the school’s Catholic mission, ethos and strategic direction in partnership with the parish and Trust, those responsible for governance and through consultation with the school community and Diocese.
- Establish and sustain high-quality, expert teaching across all subjects and phases, built on an evidence-informed understanding of effective teaching and how pupils learn.
- Ensure high standards of pupil behaviour through the promotion of the virtues and courteous conduct in accordance with the school’s behaviour policy.
- Establish and sustain ethos, culture and practices rooted in the distinctive characteristics of Catholic education that enable pupils to access the curriculum and learn effectively.
- Prioritise the professional development of staff, ensuring effective planning, delivery and evaluation which is consistent with the approaches laid out in the standard for teachers’ professional development.
- Ensure the protection and safety of pupils and staff through effective approaches to safeguarding, as part of the duty of care.
- To work alongside the Headteacher to careful and effective implementation of improvement strategies, which lead to sustained school improvement over time.
- Commit their school to work successfully with other Catholic schools and other schools and organisations in a climate of mutual challenge and support.
- Establish and sustain a professional working relationship with those responsible for governance which is inspired by a Christ centred vision of human formation.
- Be one of the school’s deputy designated safeguarding leads.
- Lead teaching and learning as a classroom practitioner with a teaching responsibility.
The successful candidate will have:
- Secure understanding of the distinctive nature of the Catholic school and Catholic education.
- Evidence of appropriate professional development for the role of deputy headteacher.
- Had active and effective leadership of a team/key stage/curriculum area/department.
- Had experience of and ability to contribute to staff development (e.g. coaching, mentoring, INSET for staff).
- Significant teaching experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
A visit to the school is warmly welcomed and positively encouraged. Please contact Mrs T Costello at the school office for arrangements.
To complete an application form please download the application pack below and return your completed application pack to email@example.com prior to the closing date.
Closing date: Friday 12th May 2023 9am
Interview date: Friday 19th May 2023
The Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and is subject to an enhanced DBS check.